May 23, 2011

CHILDREN'S CHESS

J and N. Juan and Nicolas's chess is fun. Even an official contest is playfull for them. They like to play quickly too. Juan and his team from school won the Gipuzkoa Province Championship for their age last week. They were allowed 25 minutes per player in each game and hardly used 10 in any of them. Their chess teacher told them to think more, and how to use their time, and tactics for the games, but they wouldn't take it too seriously.
I liked to play chess too as a kid, but I was a "street boy", nobody ever taught me how to play. Juan's teacher played recently with Victor Korchnoi - still a profesional Grandmaster at his age (80) - who happened to be in San Sebastian to play some games. 
Yea, I know it's a pretty bad excuse for losing already against Juan. But I am so proud that he beats me! 
Well, I have just started to read a chess book, and I still beat Nicolas :)
El ajedrez que juegan Juan y Nicolas es divertido. Incluso una competición oficial es un juego para ellos. Les gusta jugar rápido además. Juan y su equipo del colegio ganaron la semana pasada el Campeonato de Gipuzkoa de alevines. Tenían 25 minutos por jugador y partida y apenas usaban 10 en cada juego. Su profesor de ajedrez les decía que pensaran más, y cómo usar el tiempo, y tácticas para los juegos, pero no le escuchaban demasiado en serio.
A mi me gustaba también jugar al ajedrez de chaval, pero yo era un chico de la calle, nadie me enseñó jamás cómo jugar. El profesor de Juan estuvo jugando recientemente con Victor Korchnoi, todavía un Gran Maestro profesional a sus 80 años, que estuvo en San Sebastián para jugar unas partidas.
Ya, ya sé que es una mala excusa para haber perdido ya jugando con Juan. Pero estoy realmente orgulloso de que me gane!
Bueno, acabo de empezar a leer un libro de ajedrez, y todavía le gano a Nicolás :)

7 comments:

  1. Do you know I could never get interested in chess. I guess it is never too late to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never learned to play chess but always wanted to learn. my FIL taught my husband when he was just a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chess is a very intellectual game. Does it really discipline the mind as much as they say?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brain sharpener!
    So much better than playing those video games...at these the kids can really interact with other humans, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. chess isn't my cup of tea because i'm not interessed by playing with (or against) someone else, but i like to study strategic problems and martingales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delightful glimpse into your world. My son also plays chess with his dad - I think it's great, though I'm much too impatient and scatter-brained myself to be into it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leí este post anoche pero no pude comentar. Me hizo mucha gracia lo del libro que acabas de comprar!!! una pizca de afán de superación siempre viene bien!
    P.S. Una duda, eres inglés, estadounidense, espanol?
    Tu inglés es perfecto y tu espanol también....Eres un expat? lo digo pk yo soy italiana, crecida en Espana y ahora en ALemania!:-))))

    ReplyDelete