December 2, 2014

GUINNESS HONEY

HEALTH. I'd got this jar of dark Guinness-like honey from A, friend and sailor, as a sort of Christmas present. We were having lunch together and honey came into the conversation. We had already drunk our bottle of wine - and a little more from the one left unfinished on another table too - when we went through the honeys we had found all over the world and the years. I remembered honeys brought from New Zealand, from Romania, from Chile. We remembered a very special one that we'd found together - being sold by a mountain road in one of the Canary Islands. And after such a pilgrimage the best one was to be found just inland in Northern Spain - in the district of Palencia - a jewel of a honey that I've got delivered at home, a case every year, through another honey-mad friend. A, for his part, disputed this and defended another contending honey. So he took me to visit (another) friend, one with a bar and honey for friends and costumers delivered from Zamora - another inland spot in Northern Spain - and bought a pot for me. The one in the picture it is. I promised A a Palencia one in return.  We agreed to settle the argument with the help of another bottle of wine, in vino veritason the New Year - I am leaving for the States next week with M. and the boys. 
Incidentally, I must add that I do not find the United States to be really a Honey Country. I could never found a really good one there. But I am happy to let my American followers dispute that too in these pages. In fact I more than welcome it!


He conseguido esta jarra de miel negra como una Guinness, de A, amigo y marinero, como si fuera un regalo de Navidad. Estábamos comiendo juntos y la miel entró en la conversación. Nos habíamos bebido ya nuestra botella de vino - y un poco más de la que habían dejado sin acabar en otra mesa - cuando nos adentramos en las mieles que habíamos encontrado por el mundo. Recordé mieles traídas de Nueva Zelanda, de Rumanía, de Chile. Recordamos una muy especial que encontramos juntos  - paramos a comprarla junto a una carretera de montaña en una de las islas Canarias. Y después de semejante peregrinaje, fui a encontrar la mejor justo tierra adentro en el Norte de Castilla - en la provincia de Palencia. Una joya de miel que me envían hasta casa, una caja todos los años, a través de otro amigo loco por la miel también. A, por su lado, defendía otra miel como candidata. Así que me llevó donde (otro) amigo, con un bar y miel para amigos y clientes, traída desde Zamora - la misma zona - y le compró un bote para mí. El de la foto. Le prometí a A una de las de Palencia a cambio. Quedamos en resolver la contienda con otra botella de vino, in vino veritas, con el Año Nuevo - salgo para America la semana que viene con M y los chicos.
A propósito de ello, nunca encontré grandes mieles en los Estados Unidos. Pero para eso están estas páginas. Bienvenidas las enmiendas al caso.

1 comment: